Cat Friendly Practice
Colonial Veterinary Hospital is now an AAFP Certified Gold Status Cat Friendly Practice.
Cat Friendly standards for an animal hospital. What sets us apart specifically for cats is the following:
1. Separate feline waiting area.
2. Separate feline hospital ward and boarding area.
3. Doctors must meet a 20 hour minimum of feline specific CE (continuing education) every two years.
4. Technicians must meet a 10 hour minimum of feline specific CE every two years.
5. A feline exclusive exam room where only cats are allowed for visits (with only emergency exceptions for dogs).
Did you know that:
- 60% of cat owners report that their cat hates going to the veterinarian.
- 38% of cat owners report that they get stressed just thinking about bringing their cat to the veterinarian.
We at Colonial have created an environment that we hope will change this trend by:
- Providing education to cat owners to increase their understanding of feline behavior, the value of veterinary care, and the need to actively participate in their cats individual healthcare plan.
- Minimizing the stress the veterinary visit places on both clients and feline patients.
- Providing techniques for the practice to address the distinct needs of cats, including facility environment, equipment, staff knowledge, and feline friendly handling.
If you are a cat owner and are looking for a useful online resource for your feline friend, please use the following link: catfriendly.com
It is a site created by the American Association of Feline Practitioners. It is monitored and updated by feline veterinarians in order to bring the most educational information to pet owners.